Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Triscuits, or a Lesson in Calico


I love Triscuits.  But they’re full of msg and other chemicals, so I went online to see if there was a recipe for them somewhere that I could make.  I couldn’t find one for home-made Triscuits, but I found one for healthy snack crackers so I gave it a go.  I carefully rolled the dough out to a paper thin consistency and then put garlic on top along with onions, kosher salt, poppy and caraway seeds.  Noms!  Into the oven on 450 for 10 – no, 12 minutes.  Then out they came, smelling like a fresh everything bagel.
I nearly burned my mouth on the first two, but boy, were they good.  As typical when I’m cooking, my calico wove herself about my feet, begging for a taste, so I picked up a (now slightly cooler) cracker and offered it to her.  She took a sniff, then did that “I’m insulted that you would even think I’d eat that” dance backward that cats are so good at, then retreated to another room.  Alas, not a cracker fan.

The directions indicated that it would be a good idea to leave them out to cool for a while before packaging them up to store them, even going so far as to suggest they’d be fine on the counter for a couple of days, so I left them to cool overnight just as they were on the parchment paper. 

The next morning I got up to feed the cats.  As I stumbled past the crackers I reached for one.  Nom!  Nice and cool and crisp, with just the right mix of flavors.  I had another.

A little while later it was time to leave.  But when I got to my car I remembered that my glasses were still in the kitchen, so I ran back up to retrieve them.  There on the counter was that deceitful little butt-licker, enjoying the salty treats.  The same ones she said NO to the night before.  The very ones I left out all night, and ate with such relish the next morning.

Butt-flavored Triscuits.

1 comment:

  1. Ack! Pets are lovely. Unfortunately, we now have pantry moths, who are much sneakier in their food attacks. I was eating pretzels yesterday and found a little wiggly worm in them. Blech!

    I've already started throwing away things in my pantry!

    ReplyDelete